Here we see how to configure special hardware card in Linux and
As we saw, Quicknet Phonejack is a sound card with VoIP accelerating
capability. It supports:
- G.711 normal and mu/A-law, G.728-9, G.723.1 (TrueSpeech) and
- Phone connector (to allow calling directly from your phone) or
- Mic & speaker jacks.
Quicknet PhoneJack is a ISA (or PCI) card to install into your
Pc box. It can work without an IRQ.
Under Windows you have to install:
- Card driver
- Internet Switchboard application (working only with Internet,
using newer Quicknet cards)
all downloadable from
Quicknet web site
After Switchboard has been installed, you need to register to
Quicknet to obtain full capability of your card.
When you pick up the phone Internet Switchboard wakes up and
waits for your calling number (directly entered from your phone),
- enter an asterisk, then type an IP number (with asterisks in
place of dot) with a # in the end
- type directly a PSTN phone number (with international prefix)
to call a classic phone user. In this case you need a registration
to a gateway manager to which pay for time.
- enter directly a quick dial number (up to 2 digits) you have
previously stored which make a call (IP or PSTN).
Internet Swichboard is h323 compatible, so if you can use, for
example, Microsoft Netmeeting at the other end to talk.
Warning!! Internet Switchboard NEED to be connected to Internet
when used with newer Quicknet cards
In place of Internet Switchboard you can use openh323 application
openphone (using GUI) or
ohphone (command line).
Under Linux you have to install:
- Card driver, from
Quicknet web site. After downloaded you have to compile it (you
must have a /usr/src/linux soft or hard link to your Linux source
directory): type make for instructions.
- If you are a developer you can use
SDK to create your own application
(also for Windows).
With Internet Switchboard (and with other application) you can:
- Change compression algorithm preferred
- Tune jitter delay
- Adjust volume
- Adjust echo cancellation level.
This card is very similar to the previous, it supports also gateway
We only notice that we have to
download PSTNGx application (for Linux
and Windows) or we use Internet Switchboard to gateway feature.
- First download software
- Untar it
- Modify 'src/vpbreglinux.cpp' according to file README
- type 'make'
- type 'make install'
- cd to src
- type 'insmod vpb.o'
- retrieve (from console of from 'dmesg' output command) major
number, say MAJOR
- type 'mknod /dev/vpb0 c MAJOR 0' where MAJOR is the above number
- cd to unittest and type './echo'
Follow README file for more help.
I personally haven't tested VoiceTronix products so please contact
VoiceTronix web site for support.