Re: translation issue for web site

On Sat, 11 Sep 1999, NAKANO Takeo wrote:

> In article <Pine.LNX.4.10.9909102223380.4669-100000@bastion.nl3155vj16.vanderkooij.org>
> Hugo.van.der.Kooij@caiw.nl writes:
>
> > However in such a case the webmaster should redirect to the proper place.
> >
> > This would mean that sites having say 10 hits per month on a certain
> > language that takes up multi megabytes of files would not have to carry
> > along a lot of slack.
>
> Agree.  FYI, current ja site has about 50 Mbytes.  Assuming the
> other local ldps also have comparable bytes, it's not good in
> C/P mirroring them all over the world.  We already have
> compressed translations in every FTP mirrors.  It should be
> enough for most people, if he/she has WWW access to original
> sites with FTP access to the nearest mirror.
>
> > The use of proper redirection should be mandatory in case a certain
> > language is not mirrored.
> [snip]
> > So the webmaster decides to redirect hits to http://www.nl.linux.org/ru/
> > to http://www.ru.linux.org/ru/
>
> If we don't mirror but redirect, it's not so valuable to
> prepare http://www.nl.linuxdoc.org/ja/ as URI, because
> http://www.ja.linuxdoc.org is much more easy to remember :-)
> Rather, we should concentrate on preparing good link pages
> in each local ldps?

The proposal with http://www.XX.linuxdoc.org/YY/ will allow a very
flexible setup where each site can decide to add or remove certain
languages from the site based on demand.

This way http://www.linuxdoc.org/index.html can point to /nl/index.html
for the Dutch stuff. And any site mirroring from www.linuxdoc.org will
have the same local reference. Making mirroring quite easy. I guess
Belgium and South Africa are the two most likely site to mirror it.

And the other way around it's likely that we may add Germand and French to
the Dutch server. But it could very well be that there is demand for the
Turkish pages as well.

Hugo.

hvdkooij@caiw.nl	http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~hvdkooij/