Re: sgml-tools for Linuxdoc

Hallo,

Sorry about the enormous delay, things have been chaotic around here.

Taketoshi Sano wrote:

> Hi.
>
> # I cut some addresses from Cc:
>
> In <385FC80E.2CA3720B@mail.nyx.net>,
>  at Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 19:33:50 +0100,
>   on Subject: Re: sgml-tools for Linuxdoc,
>    Stein Gjoen <sgjoen@mail.nyx.net> writes:

> > [snip]
> >
> > > Can you show me the sample sgml file ? I think this problem
> > > has been fixed in upstream. I have not worked on this, but
> > > sgml-tools 1.0.9 does not show this problem when I create
> > > and check a sample sgml file.
> >
> > Certainly: the source file is available at
> >       http://www.nyx.net/~sgjoen/disk.sgml
>
> Ah, we (JF) have translation of this 'HOWTO: Multi Disk System Tuning'
> written by you. I learned a lot from reading this via the translation
> when I started to use Linux. I am glad to hear from the author of it :)

I am happy to hear people find it of use 8-)

> # Current Japanese Translation is based on previous version, v0.23d,
> # and it was finished at 12 Dec 1999. Strangely, it happened to be
> # the same date of your new version 0.23e.

The web page is updated more frequently to deal with typos and
less important matters. However, a major revision is coming up
in the near future.

> > Come to think of it, there is another mysterious error message
> > that appears when processing that file with sgml2txt. I do not
> > have the error message at hand but I can post it later.
>
> I check this disk.sgml (v0.23e) with sgml2txt from our Debian pacakge
> of sgmltools_1.0.9-5 (the most updated one). The messages I got is:

I use sgmltools 1.0.9 from the stable release of Debian,
the -5 release seems to be in the unstable branch.

>      $ sgml2txt disk.sgml
>     Processing file disk.sgml
>     <standard input>:3250: warning: can't break line

This is the very same message I get.

> I doubt the groff which is called from sgml2txt (or fmt_txt.pl) output
> the warning in last message.
>
> But this warning is to complain that the specified line can not be broken
> in order to fill the specified width of the text  (so the output may have
> longer line than expected width), and can be ignored in most cases.
> At least I think so.

The mystery to me is which line does 3250 refer to? That line in the
raw sgml-file looks quite harmless and I cannot see anything unusual
in the text output either.

> The output from sgml2txt (disk.txt) shows
>
>   6. Technologies
>      6.1 RAID
>         6.1.1 SCSI-to-SCSI
>         6.1.2 PCI-to-SCSI
>         6.1.3 Software RAID
>         6.1.4 RAID Levels
>      6.2 Volume Management
>      6.3 Linux md Kernel Patch
>      6.4 Compression
>      6.5 ACL
>      6.6 cachefs
>      6.7 Translucent or Inheriting File Systems
>      6.8 Physical Track Positioning
>         6.8.1 Disk Speed Values
>      6.9 Stacking
>      6.10 Recommendations
>
> and
>
>   12. Implementation
>      12.1 Drives and Partitions
>      12.2 Partitioning
>      12.3 Repartitioning
>      12.4 Microsoft Partition Bug
>      12.5 Multiple Devices (md)
>      12.6 Formatting
>      12.7 Mounting
>      12.8 fstab
>      12.9 Recommendations
>
> in it's table of contents.

This output is the way it should have been, very good.

> I check the contents of disk.sgml, and it has
>
> <sect1>Linux <tt/md/ Kernel Patch
> <nidx>disk!technologies!md</nidx>
> <nidx>disk!technologies!raid</nidx>
> <nidx>disk!technologies!striping</nidx>
> <nidx>disk!technologies!translucence</nidx>
> The Linux Multi Disk (md) provides a number of block level features
> in various stages of development.
>
> and
>
> <sect1><tt/fstab/
> <nidx>disk!implementation!fstab</nidx>
> <nidx>disk!fstab</nidx>
> During the booting process the system mounts all partitions
> as described in the <tt/fstab/ file which can look something
> like this:
>
> as a contents.
>
> I think this problem has been fixed, maybe in the upstream,
> because I have not worked on this, although I am not sure
> if modifications in our Debian package (from members and users of
> Debian, including me) happens to come to fix this as well as
> other problems.

Since I used the Debian package (stable) it seems the fix must
have occurred in some of the Debian specific fixes.

> Have you checked this with original sgml_tools 1.0.9 ?

I compared to the text version on Metalabs and that has the same
problems as I have on my own Debian machine. What version is
used to generate the version at Metalab I do not know, perhaps
someone can come forward and inform us on this list.

Regards,
   Stein Gjoen