Re: Not a HOWTO

On mar, 08 fév 2000, Greg O'Keefe à écrit
>Hi,
>
>I have written a piece which is not a HOWTO, nor a book.

dear greg,

I just dowload and read your work.

I think it's a very good idea, but also that it will need important
rewriting.

first the unimportant things : lack of space in §6.init "infact" should be
in fact and in §11.bash, itand should be it and.
in my suse 6.3, there is a file /sbin/init.d/boot.local for utilities to
load at start (with link in /etc/rc.d)

second the good thing(s).
*very good idea to write down the booting process,
*very good idea to make a tutorial with examples.

third the rewriting:
*you (or anybody else -this is a hard work) should add a clue as what are
all these messages displaying when the kernel is booting
*examples should be completely rewritten.

the main interest of a tutorial is exercices. But these should be real
exerecices, that is things to do with the hands and keyboard. Reading do
is NOT an exercise. For example, you say "checkout the ext2cfile system
code in the kernel". This is a good idea, but
-it's not an execice,
-it's not for beginners this code is highly optimised
RTFM is not an exercise.

what I mean is that one must not read all this linux doc while browsing
your document.

One should have at each § one or more exercices to do to construct his
basic system, with step to step guide and solution at the end of the
document.

If you whan one to patch a bit of source code, give an example...

I know this is a heavy work and should be done with a team. I'm for now
too envolved in other tasks to be able to help you that way, but i hope
you luck in this task.

I did this example, and got a different result:
jdd@charles:~> ldd /bin/bash
        libncurses.so.4 => /lib/libncurses.so.4 (0x40020000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x40069000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x4006c000)

Linux, nouvelles de science fiction (écrites par moi)
pédagogie de la dao et plein d'autres choses
http://:jdanield.free.fr, http://perso.club-internet.fr/jdanield
jdanield@free.fr, jdanield@club-internet.fr, jdanield@linux-france.org