RE: if SGML is so great...

I don't give a care whether or not you LIKE sgml, I've given reasons why I
think it's important for the LDP.  These arent' reasons that you should
write in SGML, but reasons that the LDP should use SGML.  I had a much
shorter conversation the other day on the GDP list about licenses, and I'm
going to use their argument here.  You can write documents in any format you
want, but if you want them to be a part of our "core" collection, then they
have to be in a useful format to use, namely, SGML.  If you supply us with
an HTML doc, we'll say here's a new HTML doc, it's going in with the rest of
our HTML docs.  We don't provide any "intelligent" searching on these, but
you can download them and use grep if you want to.  If you supply us with an
SGML (specifically DocBook) document, then we'll say here's a new DocBook
doc.  It's been automatically added to our topical list, and indexed and
added to our intelligent search tool.  Then, 6 months later, when you're
looking for an example of how to do something, you go to our intelligent
search engine, and say I want to find all examples dealing with "this"
topic, and it goes out and says ok, here are my examples, and finds you the
example you're looking for.

So, let's just say that I'm not opposed to accepting documents in formats
other than SGML, but they're "second-class citizens" in my mind, and should
be treated as such.  The documents, not the people.
	Greg