RE: Authorship

On Thu, 01 Jun 2000, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> [...]

[snip]

> > The HOWTO-HOWTO has to make a few assumptions:
> >
> > 1)  The reader knows Linux (regular HOWTO authors do not have
> > this assumption)
>
> Absolutely valid.  If they don't know anything about Linux, how can they be
> writing a document that tells how to do something using Linux?

I am probably not the only person who has little Linux experience, but still
wants to help the project. I've been using Linux for about 2 years, and I am
still very unschooled in things that most on this list know inside and out.

Initially the LDP, being documentation, struck me as a Free project that I
could help with, because I have good English skills. </me quickly scans email
for glaring abuses of the language> I do html/asp for a living, so I can
learn SGML and DocBook.

The tools are my biggest problem. After nearly a month of abortive attempts to
get a working DocBook environment established, I am on the point of giving up.
I've considered upgrading from RH6.1 to RH6.2 because it seems to include all
the packages I need in rpms.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm getting frustrated. What I'm trying, and failing,
to say is that a little hand holding would be appreciated. Even if you think it
belongs in an appendix or a separate HOWTO, please provide more information,
rather than less, on establishing a working environment for DocBook.

Of course, I will understand if I am in such a small minority that going out of
your way to help me is effort better spent elsewhere, but I wanted to share my
viewpoint.

Regards,

David