[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Rep:Re: Permission to submit HOWTO
> This has to be discussed : both options have pro and
comme ci, comme ca, there's been an interminable
discussion of pros and cons. Meanwhile, new
authors come along, ask to same questions, get the
same indeterminate answers. What I've heard is
1) the LDP is moving vaguely in the direction of
2) it would be nice if some volunteers did markup
for new authors, but there's no roster of
3) LinuxDoc is sorta on its way out, but it's
still the only DTD sorta featured in the H-H.
DocBook is mentioned, but not featured.
4) it's not clear which tags are to be used,
there's a lot of talk about using SGML in search
engines, but beyond DSSSL, the LDP doesn't appear
to be using the capabilities of SGML.
5) because of rugged individualists using straight
text editors to write SGML manually, there's a
move afoot to use a non-standard version of
DocBook without many end tags and reduced nesting.
The effect of this on the virtual search
capability is unknown. The main reason for this
move is to avoid typing.
6) there may or may not be a template, it may or
may not be referenced in the H-H, and it may be in
DocBook, LinuxDoc, or both.
7) LDP may have a policy, but no one seems to know
what it is beyond using SGML with some
indeterminate DTD. Despite blizzards of blather
about the wonderfulness of SGML, about the only
thing going is conversion into a few other
8) It's not clear which validation and conversion
tools work with what.
Beyond that, everything is clear-cut. Welcome to
Hope this helps.
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to firstname.lastname@example.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact email@example.com