RE: [Fwd: [Fwd: First Open Source Documentation Summit at the O'Reilly Open Source Convention]]

WHAT?!?!?!?  DocBook is in use for quite a few of the LDP documents.  The
LDP Author Guide, the Cable-Modem HOWTO, the Linux FAQ, and others.  These
are all DocBook native documents.  We have satisfactory output for all of
the formats that we could produce from Linuxdoc, although we're still making
improvements.

> It's easier to add what we want in working tools (sgml2pdf,
> sgml2rpm for
> ex) than waiting on docbook to be usable by each of our authors.

The tools work fine on metalab where the processing is done, and for the
most part, are easy to get running using the instructions in the LAG.  You
need to go read that, and keep up on the LDP list a little better.

> However, we have a team working on the docbook integration within the
> LDP (docbooktools), and we provide docbook output from the current
> linuxdoctools documents.

Yes, and this team will continue to be in existence for a very long time, as
long as we're still using DocBook.  Things will evolve, and we'll have to
change the tools to make things better.

> In the future, when docbook will be considered ready for
> production use
> we will support both linuxdoctools and docbooktools, after
> which all our
> documents will be in docbook.

We support both RIGHT NOW, and all of our documents are available in
DocBook.  The documents written in Linuxdoc are run through a primitive
conversion script that creates DocBook from that, in order to make it easier
for authors to make the transition to DocBook.

> Docbook documents are already accepted, but they are
> separated from the
> linuxdoc HOWTOs.

Not really, they're part of the LDP repository just like everything else.
They have the same output formats available as the LinuxDoc HOWTOs, so for
the end user, they are the same.
	Grego