Re: Legalities

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 07:27:33PM +0200, guylhemlistes@ifrance.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yes we will legally exist soon - that's the point in meeting in NC,
> we will discuss this.
>
> Going non profit seems the easiest way.

This needs to be well thought out.  Would it be a membership
organization with one vote per member?  A problem is that in many
organizations only a tiny percentage of the members vote and this
leaves the way open to a hostile takeover.

Right now the LDP doesn't have any assets, and there is thus less
motivation for any takeover.  But as a formal organization, we could
wind up owning the copyrights to certain documents that people had
given to us.

Another form of organization is to have a dedicated board of directors
that is self-perpetuating.  There have been a lot of failures of
non-profits and we need to avoid the mistakes they made.

			David Lawyer