Re: More graphics questions

Jorge Godoy wrote:

> Mark Komarinski <markk@cgipc.com> writes:
>
> > The LDP uses another tool (html2ps?) to generate the PDF, skipping the TeX
> > part altogether.
>
> Greg's using this because he said he can get better PDF files.
>
> Using PDFJadeTeX we can have the hyperlinks to work. Can we get that
> with Cygnus' tools?

Doesn't look like it.

> > If the LDP (hey powers-that-be) wants to support TeX as an output format,
> > then you'll need to provide both .eps and .jpg files.  At least this was
> > the answer to my question on graphics formats.
>
> TeX isn't supported with Jade or Cygnus' tools. Both support a variant
> called JadeTeX. JadeTeX is being deprecated in favor of
> PassiveTeX. Both are maintained by Sebastian Rahtz.

Doh.  I talk about TeX in a general format.  Sorry.

> And, as I've suggested in a private message to Poet, we could get TIFF
> files and convert them to PS/EPS, JPEG, PNG and any other format we
> need to publish the document. EPS is not mandatory here. JadeTeX
> requires EPS graphics, not DocBook.

I understand that.  Perhaps some goofytool(tm) that will generate a PNG and
EPS from a TIFF?

JPG does suffer from quality problems, but you can increase the quality.
GIF is right out.  Do most major browsers support PNG now?

> > If we don't want to support TeX, then I'll go ahead and document the alternate
> > PDF tool and advise authors to not use jade or db2pdf to create PDF files.
>
> We want to support JadeTeX. :-)
> I don't know if we should say that to authors. "Use jade to get HTML
> but not PDF. For PDF use XYZ. For PS use ABC...". This is complicated
> and unecessary.

Since authors won't do the actual rendering into the various formats,
it shouldn't matter.  How about a new section showing how the LDP does
its rendering which would include a table of formats and commands?

Or will that just get too confusing?

-Mark