Re: More graphics questions

Hello,

We should accept the following and only the following formats:

1. Gif
2. JPG
3. EPS (for the postcript output)

I don't like gif anymore than the next guy, so use JPG.

On Mon, 5 Jun 2000, Roman Maurer wrote:

<CITE>"Anthony E. Greene" wrote:
<CITE>>
<CITE>> Some versions of IE4 cannot display a PNG image by itself.
<CITE>
<CITE>What versions or IE4?
<CITE>
<CITE>IMHO the format LDP uses in HTML documents should be "good-old"
<CITE>(and unfortunately patented) GIF.
<CITE>
<CITE>The usability of documentation should not be dictated by technology
<CITE>nor by politics.  JPEG is bad because it looses data and PNG is bad
<CITE>because not everyone will see it(?).
<CITE>
<CITE>So, my suggestion is to take a deep breath, buy some GIF compression
<CITE>utility (xv comes to mind) and make the GIFs for the docs.  That way
<CITE>end-users will be happy, and the authors won't need to pretend that
<CITE>we have a good-for-all substitute for GIFs (someday this will be PNG,
<CITE>but obviously we're not there yet!).
<CITE>

<COMPANY>CommandPrompt	- http://www.commandprompt.com	</COMPANY>
<PROJECT>OpenDocs, LLC.	- http://www.opendocs.org	</PROJECT>
<PROJECT>LinuxPorts 	- http://www.linuxports.com     </PROJECT>
<WEBMASTER>LDP		- http://www.linuxdoc.org	</WEBMASTER>
--
Instead of asking why a piece of software is using "1970s technology,"
start asking why software is ignoring 30 years of accumulated wisdom.