RE: Yet another question

Yes, there is.  Unfortunately, I don't know what it is, and I hate the look
of DSSSL so I haven't dug into it very much.  Perhaps Jorge Godoy or Greg
Ferguson can tell you how to do that.  I'd prefer it to be that way as well
as it makes for a nicer document.

> 2) What is the canonical way to include your email in the
> information at
> the top of the index page? I've tried a few variations on
> <AuthorBlurb>
> and <Affiliation> with no success. Since that is what several
> LDP authors
> use (at least in the versions available on the web site), it
> looks like
> the LDP does not yet use DocBook to actually generate their
> documents (at
> least, they don't use DocBook in any way that I've made sense
> of.) So- any
> better suggestions?

The easiest way is to snag it from a well written SGML document, the
HOWTO-HOWTO would be a good once, since Mark looks to be really getting
pretty good with DocBook.  Getting the DocBook source will let you look at
some of the other nice markup that DocBook provides that LinuxDoc does not.

> 3) Why is <Rant> not a DocBook tag? Seriously... I had always assumed
> (when I heard that the LDP was switching from LinuxDoc to
> DocBook) that
> that went that DocBook had a well developed set of tools to work with,
> just like LinuxDoc. These kinds of tools are what give CLIs a
> bad name- I
> don't see the advantage to switching to them if no one can
> get anything
> done with them. Of all things, writing docs should be
> straightforward and
> not require technical wizardry. Jeez. </Rant>

Well, the tools are progressing a lot, they're actually hundreds of times
better than when I started into this (isn't that comforting?) and I expect
them to be almost good by the time that September rolls around.  I don't
have the processing tools installed at all on the machines where I write
documentation, I just write them, and email it off to the publishers.  If
they don't like how it looks, that's their problem, not mine.

> Anyway, thanks again for your time- please cc: me to answers. I looked
> into signing up, but the idea of getting 4 cron job messages
> every hour is
> unappealing.

Paul!  It's broke again.  :-(  Those CRON messages only show up in the
archiver, and it's because something is wrong with MhonArc on Metalab.  Or
at least I assume that's it, since almost everybody on the Mailman list
swears by it as an archiver.  Anyway, sign up for the list, these are the
kinds of messages we get, and it's pretty low traffic.
	Grego