Re: Making It Easy For New Authors (was Re: Style Guide)

    j> remember the starting point : we seek a "mini" HOWTO-HOWTO allowing to
    j> start "right now" writing docbook. For this, the simpler wp able to do
    j> this is the best (I agree wordperfect is probably not so easy :-( - I
    j> don't know tksgml). After that, anobody can seek and find his best suited
    j> one.

We're always looking after new editors to use at Conectiva (we're 42
people at the Publishing Department writing SGML and doing
translations so having an easy to use editor would be a good
thing(TM), not to mention that there are some administrative people
that will have to start using XML / SGML soon...) and the best we've
found 'til now is Emacs + PSGML (I'm not the right person to talk
against Emacs, but I wasn't the person doing the tests).

TkSGML (aka EpcEdit) requires that you know the tags and this is,
IMHO, the hardest part: knowing what tags you can use and in which
context they apply.

What's the best editor for *you*? If the one you know can generate
ISO-8859-1 files (or the encoding that you use at your system) and
generate a 'clear text' output, then this is the best for you. You'll
have to learn the tags and where you can use them, but you won't have
to learn it + some other editor.

I agree with Mark when he wants to let you choose the editor you want
to use. Learn one thing at a time.

See you,
--
Godoy. <godoy@conectiva.com>

Departamento de Publicações       Conectiva S.A.
Publishing Department             Conectiva Inc.